17. Helicarrier Hoedown

(Y/N), Natasha, and Thor entered the lab together. Fury, Tony, Steve, and Bruce were already there, arguing about 'phase two,' which was S.H.I.E.L.D making weapons out of the Tesseract's energy.

Bruce pointed at Natasha as she and the others entered. "Did you know about this?"

"You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, Doctor?"

"I was in Calcutta, I was pretty removed."

"Loki's manipulating you," (Y/N) said, his voice still distorted from the cowl.

"And you two have been doing, what exactly?"

"You didn't come here because of either of us."

"Yeah, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

Fury pointed at Thor. "Because of him."

"Me?" Thor asked, surprised.

"Last year, Earth has a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, out-gunned."

"Because guns are the solution to every problem," (Y/N) said sarcastically.

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet," Thor assured Fury.

"But you"re not the only people out there, are you? And, you"re not the only threat, the world's filling up with people who can't be matched, they can't be controlled. (L/N) fought an underground army we had no idea about, and only managed to defeat them because their leader was his mentor."

"Don't try and drag me into this," (Y/N) said. "This was your action and yours alone."

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies. It is the signal that the earth is ready for a higher form of war."

"A higher form?" Steve asked, startled.

"You forced our hand!" Fury argued. "We had to come up with some-"

"Nuclear deterrent!" Tony interrupted. "Because that always calms everything right down."

"Remind me again, Stark, how you made your fortune?"

"I'm sure if he still made weapons, Steve would be knee deep in-" Steve began.

"Wait, wait. Hold on! How is this now about me?" Tony asked.

"I'm sorry, isn't everything?"

"I thought humans were more evolved than this," Thor said.

Everyone suddenly began arguing over one another, before Thor spoke over them again.

"You speak of control, yet you court chaos!"

"It's his MO, isn't it?" Bruce asked. "I mean, what are we, a team? No, no, no. We're a chemical mixture that makes chaos. We're - we're a time bomb."

"You need to step away," Fury recommended.

"What shouldn't the guy let off a little steam?" Tony asked.

"You know why," (Y/N) and Steve said at the same time. "Back off!" Only Steve said the last part.

"Oh, I'm starting to want you make me."

"Yeah, big man in a suit of armor. Take that off and what are you?"

"Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist."

"And something tells me you aren't the only guy with those properties." He gave half a glance to (Y/N). "You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you."