24. End of the Line

(Y/N) woke up hours later in a secret facility, with S.H.I.E.L.D agents who didn't work for HYDRA. Maria Hill was one of them, along with a not-dead Nick Fury.

Fury had explained how a drug was used to slow his heart rate down enough that he would live, yet be presumed dead by everyone he didn't trust.

Steve had later briefed him on their current plan. (Y/N), Steve, and Sam would board the three Insight helicarriers and replace their targeting arrays, while Natasha would attempt to capture Alexander Pierce.

Now, (Y/N) was standing next to Steve as he gave a speech to S.H.I.E.L.D. (Y/N) had reversed the tech that allowed him to listen from far-off places to allow Steve to broadcast to the entire building.

When he got the chance, Steve began. "Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Sam asked.

"I liked it," (Y/N) said, though his voice was too low for either of them to hear.

---

The trio made their way to the launch bay. (Y/N) would take the closest of the three, as Sam would fly Steve to the second-closest, before flying to the farthest himself.

"Hey, Cap, how do we know the good guys from the bad guys?" Sam asked.

"If they shoot you, they're bad," (Y/N) said, giving his weapons a final check before turning to Steve. "Your friend Bucky will be here before you know it. Are you ready to fight him?"

"No," Steve answered honestly. "I hope there's some piece of him left in there somewhere."

"There always is," (Y/N) said. "Never lose faith."

Steve smiled. "It's good to know there are people like you out there. People who fight for what's good."

At that, they went their separate ways, (Y/N) leaping off the building and expanding his cloak. As a pair of fighter jets shot at him, he shut it and did a barrel-roll onto the deck of the helicarrier.

He then threw batarangs at the HYDRA soldiers who shot at him, hitting them all and disarming them. He then proceeded to grapple onto one of the quinjets on the runway and plan his next move.

There were two ways inside. One through the bridge, and one through the second hangar below deck. While the bridge was more heavily guarded, it was a more direct route to the targeting array. The second hangar, however, had very few guards.

He fired his grapple at a jet that had just taken off, zipping below it until he reached the entrance to the second hangar. He then dropped down inside and engaged the few agents who were inside. Once they were dealt with, he made a beeline directly for the targeting array. He didn't want to waste any more time.

When he did make it to the targeting array, there was one other agent there. Only he didn't look like the others.

He wore black and orange ninja-style armor, and was carrying an LMG as well as a sword on his back.