Chapter Four: Bird's Opening

When they arrived home Kory and Gar were playing chess while Cora and Conner reaserched thing about the birds opening.

Kory was sitting in front of Gar, Conner at the desk and Cora on Gar's lap. They had gotten close lately but hadn't done anything sexual, yet.

"Whenever you're ready," Kory laughed impatiently while Gar decided to make his move.

"I know what you're doing. Psy ops. Mastered by the Russians," Gar replied trying to outsmart Kory.

"You do know I'm from another planet, right?" Kory laughed.

"Allegedly," Gar said trying to focus on the game while Cora moved in his lap to get a little more comfortable. Gar let out a breath once she stopped moving.

"Do you always get this way when you get competitive? By 'this way' I mean insane," Kory spoke again laughing at the boy.

"I'm problem-solving. I'm also kind of busy,"Gar gestured towards Cora.

She was staring at her phone reading about the birds opening. She moved in Gar's lap again, eyes staying glued to the phone. Gar grabbed her hips to stop her from moving.

She looked up from her phone and back at him. "Oh, sorry," she apologised, turning her head away from him because of the embarrassment.

"No, it's fine," he replied still holding her in place.

Gar cleared his throat before speaking. "The Bird's Opening. The answer's right in front of us. It's hidden in plain sight."

"Hey, speaking of Russians," Conner said getting excited. "This guy- this guy, Bobby Fischer had the fillings removed from his mouth because he thought the Russians were using it as a radio transmitter..."

"Stop," Gar told him making Cora look up from her phone.

"It's a fact," Conner explained.

"Hold on, Fischer took out his own fillings?" Gar asked confused.

"I'm not sure if I should talk or not," Conner admitted.

"He did it because he thought the Russians were trying to beat him. It was a defensive move," Gar laughed because it took him so hard to realise it.

"We're looking at this the wrong way. The answer isn't figuring out more of Bird's Opening moves, it's how we beat it," Gar said turning the board and setting it up again.

"Top five defensive moves against Bird's Opening," Gar said looking for an answer.

Just then Dick walked into the room but before he could say anything Kory spoke.

"I wouldn't. He's on a roll," she stopped him.

"Maybe I should-," Cora started, trying to get up from Gar's lap so he could focus on the clue. Instead when she stood up, he grabbed her hips harshly and pulled her back down onto his lap.

Cora looked at Gar who had a serious look on his face as he concentrated. Cora turned back around to see Kory smirking at her.

"From's Gambit, the modern defense," Conner started listing them.

"A fianchetto," Cora added looking at her phone and trying to ignore the fact her cheeks were growing reder by the second.

"Fianchetto," Gar corrected her pronunciation. 

"Hobbs Gambit...," Cora went on.

"Hobbs?" Dick butted in.

"Unsound, but nonetheless interesting and uncommon," Conner explained thinking Dick didn't understand.