Normalcy

When Alyssa was a kid, she'd heard about the Oger. As usual, she had been somewhere she shouldn't be, and had come across something she shouldn't have. She'd tried to convince Harvey to take the case, but he'd flatly refused.

"They guy kills the loved ones of any cop that goes after him." he'd told her.

"So? Since when to do you love anything besides booze and pastries?" she frowned. He'd sighed and stared at her, for once his gaze held no annoyance or sarcasm. "...Oh."

"Shut up Connors."

******

For a girl with a party flare, Barbara was amazing with kids. They all adored her, and things were running much more smoothly with her around.

It helped that Alyssa was back on her game. The Mama Gotham foundation was running every fundraiser in the book; there was finally enough money to fix up the hotel rooms where the kids slept.

Barbara had suggested getting more publicity, which was a great idea, but it meant dealing with Vivian Vale.

Vivian Vale, Gotham's top news reporter and mother of a mini Vivian in training named Vicki. For all purposes, a good person. As a professional, Alyssa liked the woman and appreciated the smaller pieces she'd done on Mama Gotham over the years – they had all been positive and had helped her a lot.

But as a person? Alyssa would like it very much if Vivian Vale took a long walk off a short pier. Preferably with something heavy strapped to her ankles.

"Now do the children have to share rooms?" she said as Alyssa lead her through the Safe Heaven hotel. It was the first time she had been allowed in – a detailed exclusive would be great for publicity.

"Well, siblings usually share, but everyone else gets their own room." Alyssa informed.

"Oh, bless your heart!" she said in a sickly sweet voice. "Keeping siblings together, that's so sweet!" She walked past Alyssa, who groaned in frustration and clenched her fists. Breathe.... "Oo a swimming pool, how lovely!"

"Uh yeah, we offer swimming lessons to those who want them." Alyssa followed after her. "There's uh, also cooking classes, life skills, and just regular stuff they'd learn in school."

"They don't go to school?" Vivian looked at her over her shoulder.

She shrugged. "Principal Dondelinger says he doesn't want street kids anywhere near his facility."

"Makes sense, I suppose, wouldn't want any bad influences." she said, looking back to the kids splashing each other in the pool.

Alyssa glared at the back of her head. "My kids happen to be wonderful people thank you."

"Your kids?" the reporter turned to look at her. "I thought 'Mama' was just a nickname."

"No mam." she shook her head. "I love every single one of these kids as my own. Vivian opened her mouth to ask more questions, but was cut off by the sound of Alyssa's phone. "Excuse me, would you?" she pulled it from her pocket, taking a moment to glance at the caller ID. "Hello Harvey."

"I'm so sorry Alyssa, I called as soon as I found out! If you want me to represent you, I will."

"Slow down, what are you talking about?"

"You haven't heard?"

"Heard what?"

"Your parents, Alyssa. They were released from prison, and now they're suing you for taking from your dad's off-shore account."