Everything Is Gonna Be Alright

*Twenty-five years go*

Abigail Connors rocked her three month old baby on her hip, trying to get her to stop crying. She was quickly reaching the end of her tether.

"I fed you, I changed you, I rocked you, I think you just wanna cry." she exclaimed. "Is that it?"

The infant only continued to cry, making her mother huff. The radio playing in the small dirty apartment switched songs then, playing a smooth, comfortable melody.

'People smile and tell me I'm the lucky one.' the radio sang. 'And we've just begun. Think I'm gonna have a son.'

The baby in Abigail's arms stopped crying and cooed at the sound. "Oh you like that do you?" she asked. "Alright then." she walked over to the radio and turned it up.

'He will be like she and me, as free as a dove. Conceived in love. Sun is gonna shine above. And even though we ain't got money, I'm so in love with ya honey. And everything will bring a chain a' love. And in the morning when I rise, bring a tear of joy to my eyes, and tell me everything is gonna be alright.'

******

It was sad that Alyssa was more worried about seeing her parents again than she was about the lawsuit they were making against her. She changed her outfit three times, kept fussing with her hair, and had to go without lipstick because she was chewing her lip too much.

"Is this okay for court?" Selina asked, looking down at the shirt and dress pants she had dug out of her closet.

"Yes, that's fine kitten."

"You okay?" she looked at her.

"....A little scared." Alyssa admitted.

Selina took her hand. "Don't worry mom. I got your back."

******

*Eighteen years ago*

A very sore and tired seven year old Alyssa Connors dragged herself out of bed. She glanced at her still sleeping little sister before she went to check her parent's room. Her father had not come home last night, and her mother was currently passed out drunk. At least she had made it to the bed this time.

She rubbed her eyes and set to making breakfast and making sure lunches were packed for her and her sister. Jamie didn't start daycare – or what was really the nice old lady down the street taking care of small children for busy parents – until eight, but she had papers to deliver; it was the only way someone her age could get money. Unless she wanted to try busting into her father's stash again, but that had never gone well.

The small child continued her work, thinking very little of her father. Perhaps she would've thought of him more if she knew what was going on in the DA's office across town.

Nicholas Gordon was used to representing criminals in court, but Kurt Connors was wearing his last nerve. He was a drug addict, as well as a dealer. He had no plans to change his behavior, or even hide it to keep from getting arrested, which was what landed him in his office so much.

He felt bad for the girls the man had at home. A wife and two daughters. Nicholas had never met any of them personally, but from the way Kurt spoke of them like they were the scum on his shoe, he couldn't imagine they lead happy lives. He spoke of simple, innocent things – his wife kissing him on the cheek, his daughter drawing him a picture – as though they were the ban of his existence.

"You can't keep ending up in here, Kurt." he shook his head. "I can only get you out so many times."

"So I'm supposed to go to jail because you ran out of favors to call in?" the man scoffed.