People You Can Count On

*Last month*

"Knock knock." Barbara smiled as she leaned into Alyssa's office at the flea.

"Barbara. What can I do for you?"

"A little birdy told me your birthday was coming up." she came in and sat on the edge of her desk.

Alyssa huffed. "Is this one of those things you're going to drag me out for?"

"Yes! Its not everyday a woman turns twenty five!"

"What's it matter? I passed all the milestone ages now. I'm in double digits, I'm a legal adult, and I can drink. Not that being below twenty one stopped me."

"We're going out. Shopping, movies, drinking, I don't care, but we are not ignoring your birthday Alyssa."

"Yes mam...."

******

Four very pretty girls were laughing in the cab on their way to the ball. The two that had dates were planning to meet them there, but for now they were all content with each others company.

"No way!" Ivy exclaimed, shaking her head. "You're lying!"

"I wish!" Barbara laughed. "The look on Mrs. Teague's face; she was so red I thought she was going to burst into flames!"

Alyssa chuckled. "Hey, when you marry a sugar daddy, you know he's gonna move on the second you hit forty."

"But he didn't even try to hide it!" Selina pointed out.

"Course not. 'Honey I'm home. I'd like you to meet my girlfriend. Tiffany, this is my wife. So, what's for dinner?'"

They all burst out laughing.

"Oh, you know the world is going to hell when even the high class people have no class." Barbara shook her head.

"Well we're gonna be classy tonight." Alyssa said, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

"Speak for yourself." Ivy said. "You guys can mingle and class all you want, I'm pulling a chair up to the desert table."

"Hell yeah to that!" Selina high-fived her.

"Ladies." the driver called back from the front seat. "We're here."

******

The tiny diner was buy no means what Barbara pictured for a birthday party, but it wasn't her birthday, so she couldn't talk.

"I'm not a party girl, okay?" Alyssa said, seeing the look on her friend's face. "I prefer a simple night with people who care about me over a loud night with people who are just buying me drinks to get me drunk so they have a shot at getting me in bed."

"No, its your birthday, I can respect what you choose to do." Barbara held up her hands in surrender. "I just don't care for the awkward silence. Talk to me."

"About what?"

She frowned, looking around in thought for a moment before her eyes landed on the silver charms around her wrist. "Your charm bracelet."

Alyssa lifted her wrist to study it. "I've had it since I was seventeen. Eddie and Ozzy got it for my birthday." she set her arm down. "Well, just the first to charms really. I've added to it since then. Every charm represents a person I consider family."

"Which one's who?" Barbara asked curiously.

"The question mark is Ed, the dove is Ozzy, The badge is Harvey Bullock, the key is Harvey Dent, the cat is Selina, and the star is Jerome..." her face fell slightly as she trailed off after the name of the young ginger currently in Arkham for killing his mother, but she composed herself quickly. "Its everything I have. I learned pretty quick that this isn't a city of people you can depend on. Its nice to know that I have people there for me."