The Love Of A Good Mother

To say that Harvey Bullock and Jim Gordon were skeptical when they received a call from Selina Kyle that Jerome was at her apartment waiting to turn himself in would be an understatement. They flat out didn't believe her. It was only when she'd snapped that this was hardly something she'd mess around with – it was her family they were talking about after all – that the detectives surrendered. It wasn't like they had any other leads to follow.

When they arrived to see that Selina had been telling the truth, the teenager had had to throw herself between them to keep them from attacking Jerome. The ginger didn't even flinch, his eyes fixed on the carpet.

"Listen!" she exclaimed over the shouting. "We're gonna handle this calmly and peacefully, got it?"

"What the hell do you mean peacefully, he killed Sarah Essen and put Alyssa in a coma!" Jim said, staring at Selina like she'd gone crazy.

"You think I don't know that?!" she glared at him. "She's my mother! She's ourmother!" she gestured between herself and Jerome. "And yeah, he majorlyscrewed up, but he wants to make it better. And because I was raised to give people second chances, I'm trying to help him."

"Kid, you seriously believe he wants to make good on all the crap he's done?!" Harvey exclaimed.

"Yes!" Selina looked at him where he sat on the couch, pretending a if he couldn't hear the discussion deciding his fate. "I know that look. I know him. I believe him." she turned back to the detectives. "So, you can either take him inpeacefully or not at all. Which is it?"

*******

They ended up following Selina's demands, on the condition that she'd come with them as well for questioning. Both detectives agreed that Jerome was up to something, but for now they'd wait and watch what happened.

For now, Jim once again found himself in an interrogation room with Jerome Valeska.

"He wanted us to go after the gala tonight. We were gonna replace the magician act."

"Theo Galavan is an upstanding philanthropist. Why would he plot to brake six inmates out of Arkham?"

Jerome shrugged. "Why wouldn't he? Goody-two-shoes that nobody would suspect – worked for me didn't it?"

Jim's gaze hardened. "Yes, there's also the matter of why I should believe a single word that comes out of your mouth."

"Because I hate myself for a number of reasons right now, and I'm not about to add lying about this to the list." he said evenly.

******

*Four years ago*

In the small amount of time she had spent with her mother, Selina Kyle had learned that people never gave without expecting something in return. Even those who did things out of the 'goodness of their hearts' had a motive.

Which was why, when she woke up in the apartment she had only let the woman take her into because it was raining that evening, she was quick to make her exit before she had to pay her due.

Or at least she tried to.

"What, not goodbye?"

She froze. Damn this lady was good. "Look lady –" she turned around. "You did your charity. You don't have to keep pretending." she shrugged.

"When did I pretend anything?" she raised an eyebrow.

"I get it okay? Take a kid off the streets, make them a model citizen, its a great plan. I just don't have any interest in being part of it."