Chapter Five

Edited 5/30/2020

A portal opened in Magnus Bane's apartment and Magnus and Alec emerged mid-conversation, smiling and carrying shopping bags with them.

"I mean, how would they feel?" Alec asked Magnus.

"Well, I'm glad you didn't ask in front of the sushi chef." Magnus acknowledged, glancing over his shoulder at his boyfriend as they moved to separate tables.

"Seriously." Alec pressed as they set their shopping down. "Why do they call it fatty tuna? I mean that's a little degrading."

"Hmm, well I don't think obese tuna sounds any better." Magnus played along; a sarcastic smirk settled on his face.

"You know, as much as I love Tokyo and Prague. A bacon burger from the east village isn't that bad." Alec defended his favorite restaurant.

"The world is your oyster, Alexander." Magnus smiled.

Alex sighed as he picked up a gift bag. "I got you something." He held it out to Magnus. It was a small black back with the name of the store printed on the front in a foreign language.

"Me?" Magnus asked him confused.

"Yes, you." Alec said, pretending to be exasperated. "Open it."

Magnus did as he was told and pulled out a small rectangular object. He held it gently, as if it were one of his most prized possessions.

"It's supposed to bring you luck and protection." Alec smiled, obviously proud of the gift.

Magnus was touched. "Thank you, Alexander." He stepped closer to him. "You continue to surprise me."

"In good ways I hope." Alec admitted quietly.

They leaned in for a kiss when giggling rang throughout the apartment. They pulled back and sighed. Magnus turned and walked a few steps away.

"I haven't had a roommate this brazen since..." he thought about it. "Well, since Casanova and I spent the night in the Doge's palace."

"Casanova?" Alec complained.

Magnus opened his mouth to say something, but Alec held a hand up. "I'll talk to Jace. He can't stay here forever."

"No, no." Magnus held him back. "Nothing a little magic can't fix."

Magnus snapped his fingers and the stereo turned on, playing upbeat music. He turned to Alec with a smile. "All good?" He asked him.

Alec smiled and nodded. Not being able to hear the giggling anymore.

———————————————————————

An hour later they were on the couch kissing when Alec's phone chimed. He unwrapped his arm from Magnus' shoulders and pulled it out, looking at it.

"Damn it." He swore. He looked over at Magnus apologetically. "I need to go."

Magnus only smirked and answered flirtatiously. "Go do your job, Shadowhunter. I'm not going anywhere." He promised when Alec didn't look convinced.

He stood and sighed. "Alright." And walked up the stairs to Jace's room. He pushed open the door finding Jace on top of Kaelie, a Seelie.

"And this one?" She asked seductively pointing to a rune on his arm.

"Stamina." Jace answered.

"Ooh I like the sound of that." Alec rolled his eyes in disgust. Ever since Jace had discovered that Clary was his sister he'd restarted his 'book club.'