Chapter Thirteen

EDITED 5/30/2020

Story is now up on Archive of our own.

Sorry this is so late and short. I really did my best with this chapter. It kinda jumps around a little and it's more of a set up for the next chapter so bear with me. I haven't had a lot of free time lately, working on work and getting my degree so no hate please.

Magnus blinked as if he'd been slapped. He slowly sat back upright as he processed what Clary had said. "You don't -?"

Clary looked at him a little harder and blinked, keeping her eyes shut longer than normal after each blink. "Mmm," she groaned. She opened her eyes again and they looked clearer, not nearly as glazed over.

"Magnus?" She asked groggily, reaching a hand up to her head.

"Yeah, biscuit. It's me." He reached out for her free hand and took it in both of his. Clary took a shuddering breath and the door opened, Alec came in the room and his troubled expression brightened considerably when he saw that Clary was conscious.

"Hey!" He said quietly, going to sit on the bed next to her. Clary started to sit up but quickly eased herself back down with a groan of pain.

"Take it easy." Alec told his sister, reaching over and brushing her hair from her face, letting his hand rest on her cheek for a moment before dropping it to her hand.

"What - what happened?" She asked, looking at her brothers, well one is her brother, but she considers them both to be her brothers.

"You were drugged." Alec told her gently. "Fortunately, Susan got to you before it was too late."

"Who?" Clary asked, confused.

"Simon." Magnus corrected his boyfriend with a half-hearted glare that Alec was sure was more for Clary's benefit than Magnus actually caring what Simon's name was.

"They tried to kill me?" Clary asked in disbelief.

Alec's jaw clenched as he glared down at the bed sheets and Magnus stared at the wall above her head.

"Where's Simon?" Clary asked, finally sitting up.

"He had to leave." Alec didn't look at her. "Imogen is still in charge here and him being here would've made things worse. I told him I'd let you know he was here."

"I've gotta go call him." Clary clambered out of bed; Alec released her hand.

"Izzy has your phone."

Clary kissed both men on the cheek and swept out of the room.

"Alexander." Magnus looked away from the wall and towards Alec.

Alec let the sob leave his mouth as it racked his shoulders. Magnus quickly left his chair and knelt before the Shadowhunter.

"Alexander." Magnus said again and Alec let himself slip from the bed onto the floor nearly on-top of Magnus as he wrapped his arms around the older man's neck and buried his face in his shoulder.

"We almost lost her." He cried into Magnus' silk shirt.

Magnus wrapped his arms around the sobbing man's torso and held him close. He reached one hand up to card through Alec's fine, raven locks.

"Shh," He hushed him. "She's okay. You're both okay."

Alec sat up and looked Magnus in the eyes, trying desperately to tame his sobs. "It's one thing to come after me, but she's my baby sister. She's untrained, inexperienced, and she was all alone. It's pure luck that she's alive right now. At least I stood a chance."