Chapter 11

--------------Percy's POV: ---------------

Damien acted like the whole ordeal at his house never happened. 

We ate lunch as usual for the past week, the only difference being Alfred noticeably packed a whole lot more cookies, but I'd never be able to fully articulate just how thankful I was. He continued to talk like nothing happening with the only exception being the severe lack of Jason stories and complaints. 

I couldn't say that I was upset with that, the night's discomfort continuing to weigh on my shoulders.

I was almost thankful for the lack of acknowledgement. 

"...so what school did you go to before here?" The question snapped me from my food as I looked up at Damien, his questioning eyes balancing between disinterest and curiosity. 

I quickly shoved the rest of the cookie into my mouth before shrugging. "Honestly it'd probably be a better question to ask which school didn't I go to." a sad laugh slipped through my lips but I quicky caught myself, turning it into a cough. 

"Did you move a lot?" Damien asked. "Your mom must've changed professions from what Jason told u-" This time Damien stopped himself, pausing and seemingly waiting for me to elaborate in order to erase his previous slip of the tongue. 

I pursed my lips before shaking my head. "Jason wasn't around long enough to see my school swapping. A few mistakes here, a quick class dip in a shark tank, and you find yourself being tossed from school to school faster then you can say BlackJack " 

"Shark tank??... The card game???" He asked, curiosity turning into confusion.

I put my hand up and shook my head. "Honest mistakes I promise, plus the sharks were really nice! I don't know why the others all screamed and panicked." Damien looked more concerned then ever. 

"You remind me of a certain psycho I know." Damien visibly shook as if reliving a disgusting memory. "He walks around only in scuba fins and then complains when he trips." Damien took an angry bite of his sandwich. 

I couldn't help but laugh, the thought reminded me of Arthur. "I actually know someone like that too, he's an idiot. What class do you share with that kid anyways?" I asked, looking around to see if by any chance of luck the kid would be walking around now. 

Damien shrugged. "Dunno, he's a friend of one of my brothers." I nodded, a bit disappointed I wouldn't be able to watch someone trip today. I briefly voiced my disappointment through a sigh, earning a short huff of laughter from Damien. 

"What? You upset that we don't have another weirdo here?" He asked, lowering his sandwich from his mouth as a smirk- the evilest one I'd seen outside of camp- grew on his face.

I put my hands up, not missing that I nearly dropped a baked good. I had to emote less if my food was at danger. "Now I never said that! All I'm saying is that it would be hilarious if all you heard walking down the hall was-" I then proceeded to make the best imitation of scuba fins against solid ground that the world had ever witnessed. Damien snorted, a sound I would have to cherish forever because I'm not sure I'd ever hear it again based on the embarrassed expression that immediately flooded his features. He coughed, regaining his usual solemn look before nodding. 

"That would be quite entertaining." I nodded, glad that he understood just how great it would be. "Let's hope you can stick to this school. You'll need to be on your best behavior." I raised a hand while nodding. 

"Scouts honor" I said with a smile. Damien nodded.

"Though I guess accidents happen. Worst case scenario I'm sure Bruce wouldn't mind paying a donation to get the problem 'erased'." I felt my brows furrow as I lowered the bag of confections.