𝟎𝟏𝟎 The Asylum

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐞𝐧

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐞𝐧

Ⅹ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒔𝒚𝒍𝒖𝒎

THE TREES BLURRED TOGETHER. Hazel drove down the long road, one arm resting on the window. Gar rested his head against the window, the soft music coming from the radio sending him into a light sleep. "I wonder how long they've had her," Rachel thought aloud, her eyes staring out the window.

"It could be why she hasn't come looking for you," Hazel offered with a small smile.

"I wonder if she'll even recognize me," Rachel mumbled.

"She will, mothers always do," Hazel hummed. "Everyone gives off an aura, something to define them by. It's natural for a mom to recognize their kid."

"But you're special," Rachel sighed.

"So are you, your mom will have to recognize that," Hazel reassured. "Don't get nervous, think about something for now."

Rachel nodded and a smile took over her features. "What's with you and Gar?" Rachel questioned, sliding into the middle seat.

"Wh-What do you mean?" Hazel stuttered.

"I don't know, you just seemed pretty happy the other day. When Gar transformed back," Rachel teased.

"Okay, shut up," Hazel laughed softly.

HAZEL TOOK ANOTEHR NERVOUS BREATH. Hazel ditched the car a few streets behind where the Asylum was and led the two as they walked through the woods. The asylum was a large building, cars still moving in and out. "I think we'll have to try the south entrance away from the guards," Gar advised, peeking over Hazel's shoulder. "I don't think it's a safe bet, but-"

"But what?" Hazel asked after Gar cut himself off. "None of this was a safe bet."

"I mean, we came this far, right?" Gar shrugged. "Be stupid to back out now."

Rachel nodded the nervous realization set in. "So, which way?" Rachel asked, pushing through the nerves.

"Uh..." Gar sighed, looking around the woods. "After you." Rachel nodded and stepped out, leading the way through the woods. "Oh, I can't believe we're doing this," Gar shuddered.