Chapter 3 | Law and Order

3 | Law and order

"Being against evil doesn't make you good".

- Ernest Hemingway

The Red Demon climbed onto the balcony of the fancy penthouse where James Gordon lived along with his girlfriend, Barbara Kean, and opened the double set of glass doors to enter the house

The Red Demon climbed onto the balcony of the fancy penthouse where James Gordon lived along with his girlfriend, Barbara Kean, and opened the double set of glass doors to enter the house. A giant clock occupied part of the wall to her left, which reminded her of the clock tower downtown. Pictures of paintings and sculptures were scattered across the couch and decorated some of the furniture. Lilith guessed Barbara worked at an art gallery. Perhaps as the owner. If the place was successful, it would give her enough money for a spacious house like that.

The blonde was asleep in her bed made of black and yellow sheets. No sign of Gordon anywhere. Lilith wondered if he had left to work earlier as she returned to the living room.

"Freeze".

James had come out from the bathroom on the opposite side of the penthouse, his gun raised. He was already dressed in a blue shirt with a suit of a darker shade and a brown tie to match. His GCPD badge was secured on his belt.

"Good morning, James," she greeted more cheerful than she actually felt. "Nice suit. Brings out your eyes".

"How did you get in?" He asked, ignoring her compliment.

"Mario was innocent". Lilith dismissed his question and went right into business. She found herself being asked that same thing over and over. "From the Wayne murders, I mean. From everything else, he's guilty. There was nothing good on TV last night, so I checked his extensive file".

Gordon swallowed. Lilith noticed he was pale, but he didn't seem surprised. He knew or at least suspected it.

"Oh, and I also got into Pepper's house and saw he didn't own any shiny shoes". Jim seemed to be asking himself how she knew about that, so before he could question her about it, Lilith answered. "I read the report Captain Essen wrote. Bruce Wayne told you the suspect was wearing shiny shoes. Pepper didn't have any. Of course, whoever hired him could have lent him the shoes to throw us off, but I doubt that".

"I was told he was framed, but I didn't-" The Detective couldn't finish his sentence.

Lilith sighed. She was sad that the killer was still at large too, but at least another criminal was off the streets. "Don't beat yourself up. He was still scum. I'll keep investigating".

Gordon watched as the vigilante stepped out to the balcony. He was going to order her not to meddle in police business, but that's when Barbara walked out of the bedroom wearing one of his shirts.

"What's wrong, Jim?" She asked.

Jim sent her a tight-lip smile. "Nothing". When he looked back at the balcony, the Red Demon was gone.