Chapter 28 | All in the family

28 | All in the family

"Or maybe home is just two arms wrapped around you when you're at your worst".

The night had gone perfectly. Jim Gordon had managed to get rid of Flass from the GCPD and Harvey Dent had been glad to see the Red Demon partnering up with Jim. Before going out as the vigilante again for a patrol, Lilith decided to pay a quick visit to Bruce. The boy had recently returned from Switzerland and she hadn't had the time to go see him yet.

"Miss Khin," Alfred greeted her at the door. "You're a sight for sore eyes". He stepped aside for Lilith to walk in.

"Sorry I couldn't come earlier," Lilith apologized as Alfred took off her coat and placed it carefully on the hanger by the door.

"It's all right," he replied and glanced at his feet before looking up at her. "I'm glad you came now".

He seemed concerned with something. "What happened?"

"Selina Kyle," he said with bitterness mixed up with his British accent. "I found Bruce crying in the study. That little cat thief told him she was lying and didn't see who killed his parents. The boy is devastated".

"My God," Lilith whispered. Her heart almost seemed as if it had stopped beating at the news. She had hoped that figuring out who killed the Waynes would be the clue to finding her parents' killer too. But at the moment, Lilith focused on Bruce. Alfred followed her into the study. "Bruce".

The boy was cleaning the remains of what had once been a snow globe. When he saw her step in, Bruce let go of the broom and ran to wrap his arms around Lilith's torso.

"Hey," she greeted sadly, stroking the back of his head and rubbing his back comfortingly. "Alfred told me what happened".

It wasn't worth asking if he was all right, because the answer was evident in his reddish eyes.

Bruce pulled away from Lilith doing his best not to start crying again. "Selina was lying. She never saw who killed my parents. Just wanted to get out of juvie after she got kidnapped by the child snatchers. I'll find another lead". Bruce looked over at the board at the other end of the room with determination.

"We will," corrected Lilith.

***

Later that night after Bruce went to bed, Lilith patrolled the streets. It was a busy night with many groups attempting to rob liquor stores. There was a smaller group who was trying to rob a toy store, but it turned out that one of them wanted to get his daughter a toy, but had no money. The Red Demon bought the toy for him with the money she had brought with her to buy food on the way home. The man was grateful and the store owner was relieved. It felt good when things ended well.

On her way back home, Lilith came across a familiar figure, who was crouched at the edge of a rooftop.

"Selina Kyle".