Chapter 40 | Hidden evidence

40 | Hidden evidence

"The question isn't who is going to let me;

It's who is going to stop me".

- Ayn Rand

Alfred had finally returned home but had orders from the Doctor to stay in bed for at least a few more days because of the stitches

Lilith had stayed silent about Reginald Payne, who had been the one who stabbed the butler, but she had been searching for him. However, searching for a man in a city with eight million people was the same as searching for a specific needle in a room full of needles.

"I haven't bothered you about Payne, Alfred, but I had enough," Lilith said one day after she placed a tray with a sandwich in front of him on the bed. "Do you have any idea where he may be? You know Jim will question us about it sooner or later. And Harvey probably thinks you already told Jim".

Alfred sighed. "I can't give him up to the police".

"He stabbed you, Alfred!" She reminded exasperated. "Just tell me what happened".

"He was stealing some things in the study and I caught him. I tried to offer him help, but he said he was sorry and stabbed me," Alfred told her. "But he was a friend of mine. We served together, Miss. I can't just give him up. This is something I have to deal with personally". Lilith shook her head and ran a hand down her face. "If I can't, I will speak to Detective Gordon, I promise".

It was Lilith's turn to sigh. "Fine. I will let you—" A sound outside caught her attention and she took a peek through the curtains. Jim Gordon was driving down the road to the Manor.

"It's Detective Gordon, isn't it?" Alfred asked from his spot on the bed.

"Yes," Lilith confirmed.

"Please, Miss Khin," Alfred begged as she turned to face him. "Let me handle Reggie".

Lilith nodded and looked down at her watch. "I was going to make a sandwich for Bruce, so I'll make one for Jim too". She raised a finger at the butler with a warning look. "You stay where you are".

Alfred didn't argue, so Lilith made her way downstairs. She told Bruce to open the door for Jim while she went to prepare a snack for them. When she returned to the study, Bruce and Jim were sitting on one of the couches. Bruce seemed nervous, so Lilith assumed the Detective had already questioned him about who stabbed Alfred.

"Hello, Jim," Lilith greeted as she placed the tray with two sandwiches and three cups of gasified water, as Bruce had asked her before she went to the kitchen, on the coffee table.

The Detective sent her a tight-lip smile. "Hi. Thanks".

"Congratulations," she smiled cheerfully. "I heard you got elected President of the Policemen's Union".