Chapter 48 | Guilty

48 | Guilty

"I am a monster, I always have been.

How foolish of me to think I was anything but".

Vernon Fields almost ran to his apartment. He was sweating with fear. Maroni was dead, so he had no protection now. What if Fish's people went after him? He was not a fighter.

He needed to leave Gotham.

"You going somewhere?"

Vernon jumped at the sudden voice. He turned to see none other than Harvey Dent sitting on the couch.

"Mr. Dent," he seemed lost for words. Vernon didn't count on seeing him anytime soon. Specially in his house without a key. "How did you...?"

Harvey rolled his eyes. "There's something called lockpick. I'm sure you've heard of it".

Vernon became even more nervous than he was before walking in. Why would Dent feel the need to break into his apartment. Had he found out he had been working for Maroni?

'Of course,' he thought, answering his own question. The vigilante had already told him. 'But it's my word against hers and he knows me for a longer time. He would certainly trust me instead of the one vigilante he didn't even know who was behind the mask, right?'

The nerves surely were noticeable on his face, because right away Dent said: "You seem nervous, Vernon".

"I'm not, sir,' Vernon replied way too quickly. "I've just been feeling sick. I went to the doc—"

"Stop lying to me!" Harvey shouted suddenly raising from the couch.

Vernon jumped back, cowering at the sudden change of mood. He knew Harvey's mood swings well, but they had never been directed at him.

"I'm not, I promise," Vernon lied, but Harvey could see it now that his eyes had been opened.

Harvey's tone lowered, but his voice was dangerous. "You've been working for Maroni this whole time. Spying on me to know how my cases about him and the rest of his scumbags were going".

Vernon's eyes widened with fear. "No, I swear I would never work for someone like Maroni. You can't believe the words of a vigilante. She is a murderer, for Christ's sake! But you know me, Mr. Dent. You know me".

"Do I?" Harvey asked with a look of despite. "Because I could swear I didn't mention who told me this".

Harvey's former assistant opened his mouth and then closed it again like a fish out of water.

"And you did all of that for money," Harvey said with a shake of his head. "How could you stab me in the back like this?"

Vernon advanced. His body was shaking like a leaf in the fall. "Mr. Dent, there's been a mistake".