Chapter 21 | Good and bad news

21 | Good and bad news

"You and I, we may be raging storms but we are undeniably each other's tranquility".

"How's it going with Selina?" Lilith asked once Alfred led her into the Manor and placed her jacket carefully on the hanger

Alfred didn't seem happy and the mere mention of the girl made him frown. "Not good, but that's what you get when you have a sneaky little thief with no manners in the house".

Lilith sighed. "But this is necessary, Alfred. If she was out there, then she would be an easy target. I would take her in myself, but as I said, I'm out all day and Selina seems like a flight risk".

"Yes, well—"

Alfred was interrupted when they heard the sound of glass breaking and shouts coming from the study. Lilith widened her eyes, thinking the kids had hurt themselves or that someone had broke in to attack them. She ran with Alfred right behind her.

But that wasn't what happened. Instead, when they got to the study, Alfred and Lilith saw Bruce and Selina having a food fight. They threw food at each other and ran around the room to hide. The juice glasses on the tray met an unfortunate end when flying biscuits and donuts hit it.

The butler was going to intervene, but Lilith stopped him, pointing at Bruce, who was smiling widely and laughing. Alfred felt emotional all of a sudden. He hadn't seen the boy laugh since before the death of his parents. It almost brought tears to his eyes.

Alfred's phone rang and he walked away, so he wouldn't interrupt the moment of fun between the kids. Coincidentally, Lilith's phone rang at the same time. She went into the hallway while Alfred went farther ahead. Lilith was glad to hear Harvey Dent's voice.

"Hello, Miss Khin," he greeted cheerfully.

"Mr. Dent," she greeted in return. "It's good to hear from you. Any news on Lovecraft?"

"Yes, that's what I want to talk to you about," answered Harvey. "Could you meet me outside the GCPD in a few minutes so I can tell both you and Jim?"

Lilith nodded even though he couldn't see, a wide smile on her lips. "Sure. I'll meet you there".

She knew well what Harvey was going to tell them. Lilith had, after all, heard the whole conversation between Harvey and Lovecraft. However, Harvey didn't know who was behind the mask, so as far as he knew, Lilith had no idea what happened during his discussion with Dick.

Alfred had been talking with Jim on the phone about Selina and seemed to have changed his opinion about having her in the house. Bruce's happiness always came first and the boy seemed happier with Selina around.