Chapter 51 | A new day

51 | A new day

"One may smile, and smile, and be a villain".

- Hamlet, Act I Scene V

It was just another boring day like any other in Arkham Asylum

It was just another boring day like any other in Arkham Asylum. Every patient in the rec room was super quiet, most were high on medication and sedatives meant to keep them from causing trouble.

Jerome Valeska, stuck there since he was accused of killing his mother, was deep into his thoughts. He longed for freedom. Everything was much funnier outside. Everyone in Arkham was so serious. The ginger-haired boy had started to call Arkham, a serious house on serious Earth.

He also longed for even the slightest bit of adrenaline. Something to make his heartbeat quicken.

"What are you thinking about, Valeska?" Asked Robert Greenwood, another patient in the serious house, while picking bits of bread stuck in between his teeth with his pinkie.

Jerome swallowed a disgusted remark. "Just thinking about what I'll do when I get out".

Greenwood stared into the distance as he licked his lips. "Oh, I know exactly what I'm gonna do when I get out of this place".

"What?" Asked Barbara Kean from across the table, her head resting lazily on Richard Sionis' shoulder. The billionaire played with her blonde hair.

"Kill the stupid vigilante who put me in here in the first place, what else?" He replied. "Dobkins, are you in?"

The skinny man on the other side of Jerome shrank back in his seat as if someone had offered him a beating, almost falling on his ass in the process. The memory of the Demon he faced was not something he wanted to be reminded of. "N‐No, thank you".

The others eyed Dobkins questioningly, waiting for the schizophrenic to tell them why he reacted the way he did. However, Dobkins didn't explain.

"What did she did to you?" Jerome asked, a curious tone in his voice. He was eager to hear the story of another one of the vigilante's adventures.

Dobkins avoided their eyes. All he wanted was to get to a pretty girl he had followed from the coffee shop across his house. The voices told him he would have to fight a dragon first like they said every time he saw a girl he liked, so Dobkins already had a plan. He would leave meat and a drink out as bait for the dragon, which were both poisoned. However, as he was told later, the dragon was the girl's boyfriend. The Demon arrived just as Dobkins was about to get rid of the dragon. Dobkins was then accused of being a poisoner, having poisoned another girl's father and another's brother, and also having raped several women or have attempted to.

"Oh, I remember now!" Greenwood announced loudly once he noticed Dobkins take a hand to rub his right leg and another to his side. The others turned their attention to him, curious to hear the story. "He got here with a broken leg and two broken ribs".