Chapter 5 | Control

5 | Control

"We can simultaneously be human and monster - that both of those possibilities are in all of us".

- Matthew Quick

That morning came like most mornings in Gotham do

That morning came like most mornings in Gotham do. With dark clouds and blood on the streets. This time, a dead veteran layed on a road underneath a train bridge with a gunshot to the chest.

Lilith had heard the call come through a cop radio she had acquired illegally in her early days as a vigilante. The GCPD always took a while to reach the scene, so she decided to be the first responder and see what clues there were before the crime scene became contaminated.

The former veteran was homeless. His raggedy clothes and the empty oil tank, which was still fuming from a fire meant to warm him on the previous night, were evidence of that. A puddle of his blood had mixed with another left by the rain.

The Red Demon continued searching for clues, this time on the area around the body. Not too far away, she found what appeared to be a broken bottle. Lilith grabbed a piece of glass with her gloved hand and inspected it. There was still a bit of liquid on it. Whether or not the content of that flask was relevant, she wasn't sure and wouldn't make any deductions so soon. First, she would have to analyze it in her own lab back home.

Lilith left the crime scene and got to a rooftop just in time to see a car pull up a few meters away from the corpse. Detective Gordon stepped out and scanned the street. He felt like he was being watched. He searched the top of the building and although Lilith was gone, the feeling remained.

***

Once she returned to the safety of her home, Lilith lowered the mask. She entered her own laboratory and took out the plastic bag from her vest. From the inside, she took out one of the smaller pieces of broken glass.

With the help of chromatography equipment, Lilith would know what was inside the bottle. The Wayne Enterprises logo appeared on the screen of her computer and then a loading page opened over it. It would take some time, so she would have to go to work and could only see the results at the end of the day.

Fortunately, the day at Wayne Enterprises went faster than she expected. Lilith was in her office for a few hours and then joined her best friend, Lucius, for a coffee break. She didn't know what she would do without him there. At the end of the day, when night finally fell upon Gotham City, Lilith immediately went to her lab. There it was. The results.

ATP.

Lilith frowned and opened another page to search through the Gotham database.

'Drug used in mental institutions to knock out the most troublesome patients. Used mainly due to its immediate effects. Arkham Asylum for the criminally insane was the main consumer, but after it closed, the drug lost its market value and has become harder to get'.