Chapter 18 | Temperamental

18 | Temperamental

"When it comes to those we love, we fight like warriors".

"You caught Sionis".

The Red Demon assented her head in confirmation as she sat beside Harvey Dent on his couch. "I had help".

"Detective James Gordon," Harvey stated while he returned his gaze to the TV and away from the new added katana on her back. "They were saying that the top candidates were forced to fight for a job in his company. Then there are the other workers. They watched the fights on a TV screen like it was just a football game".

"Wait, what?" Lilith didn't know that last part. "I mean, I knew about the fights. Jim and I had to fight three of them before Sionis had the guts to face us. But the others?"

Harvey shook his head with a grimace. "It's sick. They all went through the same. I can only assume that winning also made them feel egocentric and ruthless. But there's good news".

Lilith let out a sigh of relief. "I can't tell you how good it is to hear those words".

"I know," he agreed with a chuckle. "The DA has called. Said I would have to prep the case tomorrow. It will be an immense amount of paperwork, but Sionis won't get away this time".

"Thank you," she said, staring into the brown eyes that she had come to love.

'Love? Listen to yourself'.

Not long after Lilith decided to become a vigilante, she told herself that love was off-limits. It endangered the other person and her enemies could use him to get to her. But there she was.

"For what?" He asked with a crease on his forehead.

"For telling me about the previous cases and Sionis," she told him. "Without you, I might never have figured out the connection, or might have taken too long".

He smiled. "You're welcome".

Lilith wanted to say something else and buy time to stay with Harvey a little longer, but she felt awkward and feared he would notice it if she didn't say something right away. "Well, I will leave you alone," she said instead. "So watch your news and work, or... whatever. Is that all you do?"

The vigilante watched him let out another short chuckle and couldn't help but stare at him in awe. That sound was magical and brightened all the dark corners of her mind.

"What else should I do? Get a mask and punch criminals?" He asked. "I love my job and watching the news shows me some of what I'll work on later. Like the Sionis case, for example. When the DA called, I already knew I'd probably have to prep the case for him tomorrow".

"I don't know. How about you go outside?" She asked. "Get yourself a girlfriend or boyfriend".

His face lost some of its softness. "I'm not the relationship type".