Chapter 23 | Owls and bats

23 | Owls and bats

"He was her warmth, she was his peace".

- The better man project

After the assassination attempt on Selina, Alfred decided to take Bruce away from the city for a few weeks

After the assassination attempt on Selina, Alfred decided to take Bruce away from the city for a few weeks. Switzerland was the choice since the Wayne family had a chalet there and he would be safely away from all the darkness enveloping Gotham.

Back in Wayne Enterprises, Lilith had to oversee the work done in the garage by Lucius and also back in the R&D lab. Lucius was developing a new bulletproof suit. On the side, Lilith was working on something for herself too. Lilith had just gotten back in her office when a message arrived on her phone. When she saw it was from Harvey Dent, her lips immediately broke into a smile.

It was a simple 'hey', but she was happy to hear from him. Lilith returned the greeting and awaited a reply. It came a minute or two later.

"Want to go for that coffee today?"

"Sure. After work? 6 at Square Diner?"

"See you then".

Her smile grew larger in anticipation. Since they last saw each other, Lilith had been wondering if Harvey still wanted to go for that coffee. He blamed himself for what happened to Bruce and Selina and consequently to Jim, who was forced to leave his job at the GCPD to become a security guard at Arkham Asylum or else he would be left without a job. She had feared Harvey thought she blamed him too.

Lilith was organizing the papers on her desk when her phone started ringing. This time it was the other Harvey.

"Detective Bullock, how are you?"

"Right as rain," he answered from the other side of the line. "Listen, Wayne Enterprises helps Arkham with fundin' and whatnot, right?"

"Yes," Lilith replied with a crease on her forehead. "Why?"

"I'm gonna need your help," Bullock told her, completely ignoring her question. "Meet me in Arkham in half an hour".

Lilith was confused but accepted. She gathered her things and left for Arkham Island. She got to the gates and showed her Wayne Enterprises identification card to the guard. They let her through and soon after, Detective Bullock arrived.

"What's going on?" She asked him. "Why did you want me to come here?"

Harvey led her towards the entrance of the Asylum as he told her everything. "Couple of loonies got their brains fried more than they already were, if you can believe it. First they thought it was another patient, but Jim suspects it's a staff member".