Chapter 38 | Burning questions

38 | Burning questions

"Shit escalates".

- Sevro Au Barca

Harvey Dent's idea was to interrogate Loeb's former partner, Charlie Griggs, and have him tell where Loeb kept his secret files

Harvey Dent's idea was to interrogate Loeb's former partner, Charlie Griggs, and have him tell where Loeb kept his secret files. So, he led Griggs back into the men's locker room in the GCPD's Headquarters. There, Jim Gordon and Lilith Khin were waiting for them.

"What's the matter, Dent?" Griggs asked as he followed after the ADA, who walked in with his brown coat looking more like a cape. "I thought that lambaster case was settled. And why the hell are we meeting here?"

"You'll see," Harvey simply replied.

Griggs landed his eyes on Jim and Lilith.

"You know Jim Gordon," continued Harvey. "And that's my girlfriend Lilith Khin". He smiled, proud at that last part.

"What the hell is going on?" Griggs asked and glared at Lilith. "You can't be here".

Lilith sent him a smile. "Don't tell me where I can or can not be, darling".

Jim stepped forward. "Have a seat," he said to Griggs and then closed the door.

"Back before Loeb was Commissioner, when he was a lowly Homicide dick, you were his partner," Harvey stated.

"Yeah. That was twenty years ago," replied Griggs annoyed.

"But I always hear that cop partnerships are like marriages," Harvey said with a tone of amusement. "You know each other better than your wives. Isn't that right, Jim?"

"That's right," Jim responded from his place in front of the door.

"You digging up that old story about Loeb killing his wife?" Griggs asked. "He was with me when she died".

"We know about the secret files," Jim blurted out.

"What secret files?" The other asked, but Lilith noticed the taken-aback expression as he stared at the floor.

"Oh, that was good," Harvey smiled. "I almost believed him. What about you two?"

"No," replied Jim quietly.

Lilith shook her head. "Not one bit".

"You're out of your depth, kid," Griggs warned as he looked between the trio. "All of you. Swim back to shore".

But all three of them eyed him analytically. What was that shining in his eyes? Was it fear?

Jim noticed it too. "He's got something on you too, doesn't he?" He sat in front of Griggs. "He got you to do something for him. What was it? Robbery? Coercion? Murder? And all this time, he's been using it to keep you under his thumb".