Chapter 2 | Four down

2 | Four down

"How terrible it is to love something death can touch".

A few days had gone by since the death of Thomas and Martha Wayne

A few days had gone by since the death of Thomas and Martha Wayne. Lilith continued her search for the killer, as the Red Demon, and knocked a lot of heads to get the answers she was looking for. However, it didn't seem like she was hitting the heads of the right people.

After a long night with no sleep, Lilith found the two Detectives, who were investigating the murder of Thomas and Martha. They were at Fourth and Grundy. It was early in the morning and the sun had just started to show its colors over the dark clouds. She wondered if they had found something new, so she followed them.

They entered a building and she searched the side of it for a fire escape. From there Lilith managed to find the Detectives on the fifth floor. They had just walked into the home of a family of three. The parents and their daughter, a little red-headed girl who stood by a vase of plants as her parents spoke with the Detectives in the kitchen. The woman leaned against the counter while the man sat opposite the policemen.

It was hard to hear what they were saying from where she was, but from what she caught up, it looked like Harvey and Jim wanted to search the house for a pearl necklace. Lilith had a flashback of the night she found Bruce crouched by the bodies of his parents. Yes, she had noticed several pearls scattered across the pavement.

It seemed like the Detectives stroke a nerve and the kitchen table was thrown at them with raging violence. Lilith was ready for action when she saw the man come running towards the window. She jumped to the lower floor and observed as the man dashed up to the roof. Lilith planned to go around the building and catch the man on the other side.

Gunshots were heard from the top, but that didn't stop her. After all, she had to pursue the man a while longer, because he got into a Chinese factory and a restaurant. When she found the man in an alley, she saw him attack Jim Gordon with a knife. Jim hit him with the lid of a trash can, but the man kept coming at him like a mad dog. Unknown to them, Lilith approached. He could be the Waynes' killer and no matter how much she wanted to kill him, they needed a confession. And if that man was, in fact, the Waynes' killer, he would be dead soon enough.

She grabbed the man by the hood of his old jacket and forced him to face her right before she delivered a punch to his nose. He grunted and stumbled back a couple of steps before regaining his balance. Lilith planned to kick him in the knee and then make him eat the asphalt. However, a gunshot thundered through the alley and the man dropped to the ground.

Harvey Bullock shot him. He stood a few meters away from them with his gun still raised. Jim was laying on the floor after being punched by the now dead man.

"Thanks". Jim got up on his feet and turned to Lilith, eying the mask that covered half of her face and the strange gun attached to her belt. The black and red weapon had a silver arrow-type thing sticking out of the muzzle. A grappling gun? "Who are you?"