Chapter 56 | Flesh wound

56 | Flesh wound

"His grin was always halfway a smile, halfway a threat".

Lilith followed the lead given by Oliver Evans. It took her to an abandoned building near the Sheldon Park docks. She didn't go alone this time.

By her side were Detective Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock, who returned to the GCPD after what happened in the precinct. Someone who was not happy with Bullock's return was his fiancée, Scotty. She canceled the wedding and ended their relationship. He was saddened by that, but thought, if Scotty really loved him, she should respect his wishes. He was a cop, and you don't just stop being a cop.

The residents in the building were all placed on their knees, their hands in the air, and then questioned. After that, they were made examples of and thrown out the window. The first one to go swore he didn't know anything.

"You're Chuck Flanaghan?" The Red Demon asked the next man in the group.

He stared at her wide eyed. "How do you—?"

"The man you told your friend Oliver about," she interrupted. "Helzinger. What did he say to you?"

Chuck glanced at Jim, who was by the broken window, as if asking for help, but Lilith grabbed him by the chin and forced Chuck to look at her again.

"Don't look at him," the vigilante ordered. "He's not gonna help you".

"Answer the question, bum," Bullock ordered impatiently.

Chuck nodded as far as he could with Lilith's grip on his chin. She let go of him, and he moved a hand to his chin as if to make sure it was still intact. "Fine, all right. No need to get all rough. He just came up to me when I was by the park. Some guys and I made a fire out there, and I guess he was cold. We asked him where he came from, stuff like that, you know. And he told us he had been kidnapped from Arkham and forced to do things he didn't want to do. When I asked what he was planning to do next, he said he was on his way to Arkham. A bud of mine asked if he had killed anyone, and the guy went crazy. We had to run".

Lilith looked over at Bullock and sent him a nod, silently telling him that his story matched with Oliver's. She sent the same nod towards Jim and then stepped aside. It was their time to interrogate Flanaghan. Bullock grabbed a chair and sat down in front of Chuck.

"Jerome Valeska," Jim said gravelly, the name sending a rush of rage through Lilith's body. "The attack on the GCPD". He stepped away from the window to stand beside Bullock. "Someone on the streets is talking. Somebody knows something".

Harvey showed Flanaghan a picture of Jerome. "Valeska has red hair. Crazy laugh". And then he showed him a picture of Barbara. "Might be rolling with a blonde number".

"I- I don't know anything other than what I just told you," Chuck stuttered, looking between the two Detectives. "Honest".

Jim, in turn, looked at his partner and the vigilante. "You believe him?"