Chapter 41 | Revenge

41 | Revenge

"And in the middle of my chaos, there was you".

On the way back to the GCPD, Jim passed Grace's file to the Red Demon

On the way back to the GCPD, Jim passed Grace's file to the Red Demon. From what she could see, Grace was a responsible woman. Still studying at college, but already with a job at a big firm and a house of her own.

When they reached the precinct, the two Detectives led the vigilante to the M.E.'s office. The duo seemed to share the same thought as her when it came to her going into the GCPD, so they entered through the back door.

"Just the man I wanted to see," Lee Thompkins greeted as they entered, Jim going in first. Lilith knew Lee was a doctor but had no idea she was the medical examiner at the GCPD.

On the table was the body of Grace Fairchild with a white sheet over her.

"Oh, don't say that. You're gonna make Jim jealous," Bullock joked.

"And you're gonna make me think you're not happy to see me," the Demon added with a chuckle that sounded more cheerful than she actually felt.

Lee smiled. "I finished the Fairchild autopsy and the results were a little strange".

"Strange how?" Inquired Jim.

Lee uncovered the girl's face and neck. The stab wound on her neck was visible as were the autopsy incisions that started diagonally from both shoulders and disappeared down the sheet to meet on her chest and continue down her abdomen.

"Grace Fairchild was missing for over four months. Usually, with these kinds of abductions, there's a lot of trauma and abuse to the body, but not this time," Lee explained. "Other than the stab wounds to her heart and her throat, her body was mostly pristine".

"That doesn't add up," commented Harvey, and the trio looked over at him. "Unless..."

"'Unless' what?" Jim asked.

Lilith thought she knew what the older Detective was going to say.

"You ever considered she ran off on her own?" Harvey asked as Lilith had predicted. "That her going missing has nothing to do with their murder?"

"The findings would certainly support that," Lee stated.

"Maybe," Jim spoke absent-mindedly as he stared down at the girl.

"No," the vigilante said confidently and eyed Jim as if he was the only one who could understand. "Jim, you saw her file. Grace isn't the type of girl who would just decide to run away with some guy. I'm sure of it".

Jim looked from Grace to the vigilante and then back to Grace before shaking his head. "She's right. No. No, Fairchild had a good job, a mortgage. Hell, she called her mother the night she went missing. No, she didn't run away. She was taken. And whoever took her kept her locked away 'till he was good and ready. And then he killed her". He looked at Lee and then at the Red Demon. "I know it".