Chapter 42 | Threats

42 | Threats

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life".

 That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life"

On the following day, before Harvey Dent left for his office, he and Lilith made plans to meet at the Wayne Charity Ball that same night.

Instead of going to work, Lilith went to her house and got dressed as the Red Demon. Then, she grappled to the GCPD's Headquarters. Jim had sent her a message earlier, saying that Bullock told him of a Detective who had first investigated the Ogre and then found his wife dead. Jim said he and Bullock would talk to him, and although he didn't ask her to join, Lilith replied to tell she would be there.

Lilith hadn't been able to sleep all night because she kept thinking about the case. She was exhausted, but she wouldn't rest until the Ogre was caught. He had been responsible for so much pain.

If the Ogre killed the wife of this Detective, then that meant he found something about him. Something that could just be the thing that could help catch the Ogre. Lilith wanted to hear what he had to say.

"What's this about, Harvey?" The dark-skinned Detective said when he reached the third floor and saw Jim and the Red Demon.

Bullock ignored the question and gestured for the desk closer to them. "Have a seat. This is my partner, Jim Gordon, and that is the Red Demon".

"Hello, Detective," Lilith greeted.

The man eyed her with furrowed eyebrows but then sent her a nod. "Hi".

Jim went straight to business and sat beside Bullock and across from the other Detective before dropping a file on top of the desk. "Detective, eight years ago you investigated the murder of a woman named Julie Kemble".

"Yeah, that was a long time ago," he looked down at the desk, avoiding their eyes.

"It was the Ogre," Jim told him. "Julie Kemble was his first victim. But you dropped the investigation, and because of that, eleven more women have been murdered".

The man chuckled humorlessly. "Seriously, guys, you know—"

Lilith placed a hand on his shoulder, and he stopped to look up at her.

"Stop," Jim said, and the Detective turned his head to face him. "We also know the Ogre kills the loved ones of the cops that hunt him down. That pattern started with you".

"We think you found something that spooked him," Bullock added.

Jim stood up and walked around the desk to stand beside the Detective. "Your notes from the investigation. The last page, something's been scratched out. I wanna know what".

The man's lips trembled as he looked at Bullock. "He killed my wife. I still got a daughter, Harvey".

Jim opened the file on the desk and showed the pictures of eleven women. "Beth Tudor. Katherine Wood. Jessica Parker. Eleven women. Each one was someone's daughter".