Chapter 8 | Survivor's guilt

8 | Survivor's guilt

"My past is an armor I cannot take off, no matter how many times you tell me the war is over".

— Jessica Katoff

On the day following the murder of Frank Diaz, Lilith started gathering everything she could on the Arkham Project

On the day following the murder of Frank Diaz, Lilith started gathering everything she could on the Arkham Project. The Waynes planned to renew the old building and turn it into a better place to house the mentally ill, but after their deaths, somehow everything had fallen into the hands of Don Falcone.

Lilith didn't plan to tell Bruce just yet. She needed more answers first. When she left Wayne Enterprises, Lilith drove to Wayne Manor. It was time to take Bruce on his first driving lesson. She hoped it would help to take his mind off the recent happenings, at least for a little while.

"Good evening, Alfred," Lilith greeted when the butler opened the door. "Is Bruce ready?"

"He went up to get his jacket," the butler told her, but once again there was a concerned look on his face. "I was hoping to talk to you before you left".

The brunette knitted her eyebrows. "What's wrong? Is Bruce still hurting himself?" Alfred had called to tell her Bruce had stopped doing that. Hopefully, that hadn't changed.

"No, it's not that. It's..." His voice shook and he had to try again. "Master Bruce has managed to get his hands on some police files. They have pictures of his parents. Shot. I could barely look at them. Now, he's not eating either. Didn't touch dinner last night nor breakfast this morning. Only three salmon bites at lunch".

Lilith sighed. She was worried too. After the death of her parents, Lilith became obsessed. That obsession gave birth to the Red Demon. She didn't want Bruce to turn into a monster as she had.

"Don't worry, Alfred," she reassured with one of her hands going up to rest upon the butler's arm. "I'll talk to him again".

"Thank you, Miss Khin," Alfred sent her a thankful smile. However, he couldn't stop feeling worried about Bruce. The boy was going through so much and he didn't know what he could do or say to help. All he could do was be there for him and hope that was enough.

'Hello, Lilith," Bruce greeted as he came down the stairs. "I'm ready to go".

Lilith smiled at the boy and led him towards the car. The Mustang moved swiftly through the roads of Gotham. In less than ten minutes, Lilith was driving it under Wayne Enterprises towards the R&D basement. There was enough maneuvering space for Bruce to drive on his own.

When she stopped the car, Lilith stepped out and Bruce did the same. His eyes immediately landed on the tank-like car parked in a corner and his mouth murmured a silent 'wow'.

"What's that?" Bruce asked her without taking his eyes away from the car. "Can I drive that?"

"No," she replied with an amused look in her eyes. "We're developing that for military use only".