Chapter 47 | Trust

47 | Trust

"You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you were beneath it".

Although it had been a long day for Lilith, Jim, Bullock, and Falcone, the night was still young

Soon after escaping the warehouse, where they had been held prisoners, not once but twice, they were on the elevator leading to Barbara's penthouse. Lee had gone up there for a session of trauma therapy with Barbara. It should be a safe place for them to take a break.

An old red-headed woman dressed in an expensive blue coat had also entered the elevator, holding on to her dog. She became visibly uncomfortable when they stepped in after her, all cut up and bruised. Jim had offered the vigilante his jacket and Falcone gave her his handkerchief so she could clean at least some of the blood from her face. However, her mask also had specks of blood on it. But the old woman made no comment about their aspect.

When they reached the middle of the building, the woman stepped out and disappeared down the hallways as fast as she could without running.

Another shocking scene was waiting for them at the penthouse. Right after they walked into the hallway, they heard the sound of glass breaking, loud thumps, and groans coming from Barbara's house.

"Oh, my God," Jim gasped as he hurried to open the door.

Bullock groaned. "What now?"

Inside, they saw Barbara lying on the floor not too far from the door. Unconscious. Lee sat on top of her still holding on to each side of her head as if she had just hit her head against the floor...

"Lee?" Jim called in panic.

The brunette stood up and ran to him. "She just— She just went crazy". Lee deviated her eyes away from Barbara and leaned against Jim for comfort.

They all eyed the scene in shock except for Bullock, who turned to Falcone and Lilith while gesturing toward the blonde. "I told him that woman was trouble". And he went to get himself a drink.

"I'm gonna clean myself up," told the vigilante and then went to the bathroom. Once there she took a deep breath. Lilith took out the vigilante's phone and checked the time.

10:15 pm.

She needed to tell Harvey about Vernon. He had been worried when his assistant didn't show up for work. Harvey would be devastated. A backstab like that would take time to get over.

Lilith was so tired. She was anxious to go home and rest in Harvey's arms, but it seemed like that wouldn't happen so soon. After all, she couldn't tell Harvey about Vernon as Lilith. But there was something she wanted to do before leaving the penthouse. Something she needed to do.

When Lilith stepped out, she felt slightly better. She always thought she would be a little nervous when the time came. But she wasn't. Strange, perhaps, but it was true.