Chapter 1 | Tragedy

1 | Tragedy

"If pain is all that is left behind then it must be pain that sustains me".

- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #26

The drop was high in between the two buildings at Theater District

Lilith couldn't hesitate or she would turn into a pancake once she hit the ground. So, she kept a steady pace as she ran and then jumped. Lilith was used to running on top of buildings, so she wasn't afraid anymore. It came naturally now.

She stopped running and walked towards the place where she left her bag on the corner of the roof. Inside she had a long coat and normal clothes in case she needed to change quickly. At the moment Lilith was using the black and red clothes she used for hunting, and sometimes killing, criminals as the vigilante Red Demon. A red mask covered her mouth and nose to keep her identity hidden. She put the backpack on her back and continued running.

All of a sudden, came the sound of a gunshot.

Lilith stopped in her tracks and almost fell over the building she was about to jump from. She looked around and tried to pinpoint where the shot came from. It was close.

A second gunshot was fired.

It seemed to be coming right from around the Theater.

Lilith stepped back and then proceeded to jump to the next building. She ran faster than before until she was on top of the Theater itself. Once there, Lilith crouched down and peeked over the edge.

What appeared to be a kid, crouched over the bodies of two adults. Who, she couldn't tell from that distance.

That's when the kid let out a blood-curdling scream that sent shivers down her spine. The scream was so full of pain and it reminded Lilith of the time her parents were killed.

From inside of her backpack, Lilith took out her long coat and lowered her mask. Then she made her way down the fire escape. Trying her best not to scare the kid, she touched his shoulder gently.

A boy wearing a long black coat turned around to look at her with wide eyes and a frightened look.

"No, no, please," he begged thinking that Lilith would hurt him.

"Bruce?"

It was Bruce Wayne, the son of her bosses, Thomas and Martha Wayne.

Lilith looked at the bodies on the ground and an involuntary gasp escaped through her lips. On the cold hard ground layed the bodies of Thomas and Martha. Their chests were covered in blood and a bullet wound had been the cause of death. Thomas and Martha's eyes were opened but not a bit of life was left in them.

The woman looked back at the twelve-year-old kid in front of her. She had to take him away from that place and call the police. "Bruce look at me," she told the boy, but he kept staring at his parents with wide eyes. Lilith took his face in between her hands carefully and turned him to face her. The fear and desperation were evident in his eyes. "I'm not going to hurt you, I promise. I'm a friend of your parents. I'm here to help you, okay?"