Chapter 22 | The ultimatum

22 | The ultimatum

"His expression was serious but I liked how it softened slightly when he looked at me. Like the way he looked at me was different from how he looked at everyone else".

Lilith sat in her office going through the file Lucius Fox had given her early in the morning about progress on the car tank in the basement

Lilith sat in her office going through the file Lucius Fox had given her early in the morning about progress on the car tank in the basement. It wasn't finished yet. Far from it, but they had already given it a name. Tumbler. Work was running smoothly until she got a phone call from Alfred.

"What's wrong?" Lilith asked when she noticed the concern in his voice as he greeted her.

"It's Bruce," he answered and Lilith's body grew tense with worry. "Three assassins came here to the Manor after him and Selina. I knew this would end badly. Now, my boy is gone God knows where. If he gets hurt..."

Lilith stood up, worry taking over every cell in her body. "What about you? Are you hurt?"

"Only a graze. Not important," Alfred responded dismissively.

"I'm on my way". Lilith ended the call before Alfred could protest and turned to the safe on the shelf behind her desk. She got out the key from her handbag and opened the safe to reveal a gun and extra ammo. She concealed the weapon behind her back on the waistband of her pencil skirt before closing the safe.

If someone had hurt Bruce and Selina then she would kill them. She had said before that if anyone tried to hurt the people she cared about, they would pay.

***

"Local PD is searching the woods," Jim said, bursting into the living room in Wayne Manor. "But so far, no sign of Bruce or Selina. What can you tell me about this woman?"

Apparently, one of the three assassins was a woman. She had been the one to enter Wayne Manor, asking for help after suffering a car accident. Alfred noticed the way she looked at Bruce and Selina and immediately knew. The woman had blood on her forehead, but no wound. The blood of the gardener, who she had killed. Alfred was shot in the arm while trying to protect Bruce and managed to kill one of the assassins.

While a paramedic took care of his bleeding graze, Alfred answered. "Well, she was in her early thirties. Pretty tasty fighter, actually". With the nerves growing by the second, Alfred swatted the hands of the paramedic away from him. "Look, mate, it's just a scratch. Shove off, will ya? I got stuff to do". He walked away from them and stood by the window.

Lilith followed him and so did Jim. "We'll find them, Alfred".

"I sure hope so," the butler said.

"Look, we got fifty police in the woods, even more on the roads," Jim told them. "We need to focus on this woman and her people. What can you tell me about her?"

Alfred glared at the Detective. "They were trying to kill us. And your bloody little girl brought them here".

"We don't know that yet," Jim replied, trying to calm the butler down.