Chapter 14 | Exit wound

14 | Exit wound

"And the only solution was to stand and fight".

"You didn't try to take off my mask," Lilith stated soon after she woke up

Harvey had been careful not to wake her up and planned to let the vigilante rest for the day. He had noticed how exhausted she looked.

"I considered it," he replied with a small smile on his lips. It made her smile under the red mask. "But what did I tell you?"

Lilith frowned. "What?"

"I told you not to go after the Goat," Harvey reminded her and turned his back to wash his coffee cup. Lilith had no idea how he knew about her involvement in the Spirit of the Goat case. She doubted they spoke about her on TV. "Bullock and his partner could have solved it by themselves".

"What if they couldn't?" The Red Demon asked him. "Then that girl would be dead right now and I would be thinking that I could have done something to stop it".

For a few minutes, they were in silence. Harvey cleaned the crumbs from the toaster and the table. Then he spoke again. "What happened to you?"

"The Goat pushed me down a flight of stairs," Lilith told him and stood up. Harvey watched her closely as she stepped in front of him. "Thank you for letting me stay last night".

He nodded. "You're welcome".

Once again, Lilith felt the urge to put her mask down and show him who she was. She trusted him but had spent so many years with that secret that it was difficult to share it with someone else. Perhaps she could meet him for real. Without the mask. As Lilith Khin. She just needed a reason to go to the Assistant District Attorney without looking as if she knew him well.

"I'll go now," Lilith ended up saying and stepped away from him.

He watched the Red Demon open the window in the living room and both shared a last glance before she stepped out into the fire escape. Harvey wondered what trouble she would get into next.

The car horns were loud even on Lilith's location at the top of the buildings. Everyone was on their way to work or to school. It was a mess, but Lilith still observed the scenery with interest.

She was passing by the GCPD when she heard the gunshots.

They seemed to be coming from the inside of the building, so Lilith went to investigate. The gunshots were consecutive, which meant it wasn't just a criminal they had to bring down. The closest way in was the underground parking lot. When Lilith stopped by the ramp leading down to the parking space, she heard voices.

Hiding behind a pillar, Lilith listened attentively.

"Why are you hiding from me, Jim?"

The male voice wasn't familiar, but it was calling for Jim. Probably Detective Jim Gordon. And even if it wasn't him. There were shots fired, so it couldn't be good.