Chapter 39 | A little bird told me

39 | A little bird told me

"Yes, there is something uncanny, demonic, and fascinating in her".

- Leo Tolstoy, 'Anna Karenina'.

Oswald's information led them to an old Mansion in the middle of nowhere

Oswald's information led them to an old Mansion in the middle of nowhere. The lights were on inside and on the front porch too. By the time they got there, it had started snowing again.

"You sure about this, Penguin?" Bullock asked, unconvinced. "You're telling me this is where Loeb keeps twenty years of dirty secrets? It doesn't feel right".

"Well, maybe that's the point," Jim said. "No one would suspect it".

Oswald rolled his eyes. "What would you prefer, Detective Bullock? A sign saying 'super-secret blackmail hoard'".

Harvey turned around in his seat to glare at Oswald. "You know, the last time the three of us took a ride, you were in the trunk. I liked that better".

"I told you, I overheard Falcone on the phone to Loeb," Oswald ignored Harvey and looked at Jim. "He said the farm was safe".

"That could mean many things," Lilith said, resting an arm on Oswald's shoulder, causing him to wince and grimace at the proximity of the vigilante. "But I think it's worth checking out. I'll go around back. Make sure it's safe".

"Good idea," Jim nodded in appreciation.

"Yeah," Harvey agreed.

Oswald smiled. "Great. Now, I'll wait here, and when you're done... flash the lights or something".

Jim turned around in his seat. "Uh-uh. You're coming along".

"Right," Lilith interjected. "Of course, he'll come. Aren't you, Mr. Cobblepot?" Oswald was going to argue, but she patted him on the cheek before facing to the Detectives again. "I'll go check it out. Be careful".

"You too," Jim told her.

The Demon stepped out of the car, closing the door as silently as possible, and stayed low. And it was just in time too, because once she was out, there was a knock on the back window on Oswald's side.

"You fellows lost?" Asked a male voice.

"Good evening, sir," Oswald greeted after he rolled the window down. "We were sent by Commissioner Loeb. Might we have a word? Out of the cold?"

"Well, Marge is putting on some tea," the man told cheerfully.

Lilith peeked around the back of the car and saw the trio walk toward the Mansion alongside a man with gray hair and a dark green jacket. They disappeared into the house and Lilith moved toward the back.

She looked around to make sure that there was nobody around and then grappled to the second floor. There was a window open and she slipped in. Lilith recognized Bullock, Jim and Oswald's voices coming from downstairs along with the man that greeted them outside and a woman's. Music played softly in the background.