Chapter 19 | Heads or tails

19 | Heads or tails

"He saw her before he saw anything else in the room".

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Alfred and Lilith were preparing a cake

Alfred and Lilith were preparing a cake. The butler's apron was still perfectly black, but the same couldn't be said for Lilith's. Hers was mostly white from the flour.

"I'll go," she said after the bell rang, but Alfred moved faster than her.

"No, you clean yourself up first". He took off his apron and placed it on the back of a chair.

"Yes, sir," she saluted even though Alfred was already gone. Lilith was in such a good mood that she even laughed at herself, all covered in flour. "What a mess".

Once she was done, Lilith stepped into the study. "Jim," she greeted the Detective with a bright smile.

Jim sent her a nod of acknowledgment. "Lilith, I'm glad you're here". Then he turned back to Bruce. Lilith noticed Jim looked eager, but also hesitant and exhausted. "She said this is the man who killed your parents," he passed a paper to Bruce. Lilith was confused for a second.

There was a witness?

She almost ran to sit down next to Bruce and leaned over the boy's shoulder to see the black and white sketch of a chubby man.

"She said she saw his face. Do either of you recognize him?" Jim asked.

"No," Bruce's voice cracked as he answered.

Lilith vividly remembered the eyes of the man who killed her parents and almost killed her. He was Asian like her father. The man in the drawing wasn't. "Me neither".

"What's her name?" Asked Bruce.

"Selina Kyle".

"Do you believe her?"

Jim answered right away. "Yes, I do".

Bruce swallowed drily as he glanced at his feet. "So she saw everything?"

Lilith knew that tone. He was trying not to break down. She hoped to bring him some comfort by gently rubbing his back.

"And you want her to live here with us, do you?" Alfred asked disapprovingly, which caused Lilith to eye Jim with a questioning look. "A common street criminal".

"She's hardly older than Bruce," Jim replied. "She's just a kid who's seen too much. This is for her safety. GCPD is full of moles".

"I would let her into my house," Lilith interjected, "but I'm out for most of the day". And night too. "So that wouldn't work".

Alfred hated the idea.  "Right. How long would you have us put her up then?"

Jim shook his head. "I don't know".