Chapter 15 | Nothing to lose

15 | Nothing to lose

"I will deliver justice. I will breathe law".

Lilith knocked three times on the door of Barbara and Jim's penthouse

Lilith knocked three times on the door of Barbara and Jim's penthouse. It didn't take long for the Detective to open it. He was pale, but still held the same look of determination he always had.

"Lilith," he greeted with a quick smile, which didn't reach his eyes. Formalities were out the window by now. They might die soon. They probably would. "Come in". He stepped aside and closed the door behind her.

Lilith scanned the house as if she was seeing it for the first time. "Nice house".

"It's Barbara's," he told her.

"Where is she?" Lilith asked curiously.

"I took her to a bus," responded Jim. "Told her it was best for her to leave town". Jim stepped in front of the glass doors that led to the balcony and a sigh escaped from his lips. "Especially after what happened yesterday".

Lilith joined his side and looked at him while he kept his gaze forward, observing the city of Gotham. "What happened yesterday?"

"Two men broke in here, threatened Barbara, threatened me". Jim remembered that Lilith wasn't caught up with the most recent events. There was no point in hiding it now. "I was ordered to kill a man named Oswald Cobblepot. He worked for Fish Mooney at the time. Falcone was the one who ordered me to kill him but forced Bullock to send me the message. I didn't. I spared Oswald's life, but told him to never come back to Gotham".

"He still came back," Lilith guessed.

The Detective nodded. "Yes. He came back and now everyone, including Falcone and Bullock, knows I didn't kill him. Yesterday, Falcone sent an assassin after me. Victor Zsasz. He just had to say please and all of the GCPD just left". There was a hint of bitterness in his tone. "Nobody tried to stop him. Nobody except the Red Demon. She got shot while saving me and I have no idea whether she made it or not. I just wish she could be here to help us. She would help".

Lilith nodded with a small smile on her lips. "I'm sure she would". It would be great to get Falcone as the Red Demon, but it was something that had to be done as Lilith.

"I'm also going to arrest the Mayor for being in cahoots with Falcone to frame Mario Pepper," Jim added.

"That's going to be easy," she said sarcastically and hoped it would help lighten the mood.

"Yeah," Jim chuckled. Then he stepped away from the windows and walked towards the dining room table. Guns covered the top of it. "You know how to use a gun?"